E-waste Take back
Recycle with joy At Xiaomi
We are committed to contribute positively towards the environment with our product take-back system. As a market leader, we recognise our unique potential towards promoting responsible e-waste management of our end-of-life products and urge you to join our cohesive e-waste movement.
To provide our customers with the best possible take-back solutions, Xiaomi has partnered with Karo Sambhav- a leading Producer Responsibility Organisation (PRO). Karo Sambhav is a tech-enabled, environmentally beneficial and socially responsible PRO which works with market leaders to create a strong network of collection channels across the country.
What is “E-Waste”?
Discarded electronic appliances such as mobile phones, computers, laptops, printers, fax machines or even their parts, which have reached the end of their useful life are called “E-Waste”.
Why recycle “E-Waste”?
It is important to responsibly dispose your e-waste because:
- Most e-waste is informally dismantled and recycled by the informal sector. Informal dismantling and recycling can cause health risks to the handlers and harm the environment. Through our take-back system, we want to channel e-waste to authorised recyclers.
- If not disposed in proper manner, e-waste can go to the landfills where hazardous substances can leech into the ground and cause air, water and soil pollution.
- E-waste can be a great source of raw materials (like precious and rare-earth metals) for new products. Scientific recycling can recover more materials and is more efficient that informal recycling.
Where and how can you recycle your e-waste?
To recycle your waste electronic items, you can visit Karo Sambhav or Xiaomi collection points to drop off the e-waste and get more information on the subject. You can also call Karo Sambhav’s toll-free number dedicated to e-waste or drop an email at email@example.com.
Going beyond just recycling
At Xiaomi, we believe that our focus should not only be on responsible recycling, but also on awareness generation. Our PRO, Karo Sambhav, is creating awareness with schools and bulk consumers of electronic waste through awareness events. Through its awareness efforts, our PRO is also engaging with individual consumers and making them aware of the ill effects of improper disposal of e-waste.
Important dos and don’ts
- Dispose your e-waste only with responsible PROs/ Producer Take Back channels
- Don’t sell your e-waste to the informal sector
- Make sure that all your important personal and professional data you wish to keep is backed-up and removed from your device, preferably opt for factory data reset of your mobile phones and other device before disposal.
- Remember to remove your SIM and memory cards before dropping your phone into a collection point. Batteries, chargers and other accessories can also be recycled at these points
- Do not mix these products in your home dust-bins with other municipal waste
To learn more on how you can contribute and be a part of this cohesive e-waste movement, visit //www.karosambhav.com/